Monday, November 06, 2006

Observations

Friday night I failed to see my long awaited love "Borat (something like - we shoot movie film for benefit glorious nation of Kazestan ...) from every showing being sold out, so I saw the Departed. And man oh man. I use to think people in Chico were stupid, recently I thought that Chico people can be extremely intelligent, and now I’m back to the first theory. Because at the end of this movie (no spoiler, don't worry) a great deal of people acted really confused. Three girls to my right said "I don't get it," immediately after the hotel room scene. They bantered back and forth like the movie was some confusing lecture they had to attend to at 10am. Good movies don't have to make sense immediately. Most good things take time and energy to tease out before you ever receive its true value. At that moment, nobody needed to get what was happening, but these bitches absurd confusion got to me. It seemed like everyone else in the theater felt the same way. Why did he do that, why this? I didn't fully understand everything at that moment either; however, upon 10 seconds of reflection the ending became all too clear.
I am an American; I take consumption for granted. I live fast paced compared to most around the world, everything instantaneous. I know you hear a broken record in front of you, but trying to put all cliches aside, I still hate it when others expect so quickly. Granted I do much of what I denounce, but I feel like I am working on that. Conversely, I really don't know what the girl, her friends or the rest of the audience thinks, or even if any of them do act out of "non-immediate object aggression," they feel that they are working on it. Still, my better patients is worn down by (my interpretation of) their need for immediate satisfaction.



I think I’m on the brink of extinction, hook me up with a last taste

No comments: